Information Links: Egg-Host Software and More
This is an annotated list of links that provide additional information and background. Some items are directly relevant to the Global Consciousness Project (GCP), others less so, but related to the context for the project. See also the literature references page.
Links to references and sites
- Programs and related egg-host installation instructions. There are two gzipped tarfiles: eggware.tgz has the minimal software compiled on a Linux Redhat 5.2 machine, and eggsrc.tgz has source code including a Makefile. There is a README, but the process is largely self-explanatory or explained in the context of setting up an egg-site. Of course, it is necessary to contact the GCP to become a host.
- Information on the current list of egg hosts, including location and date of installation.
- Timezones, explanations and information on the timezones around the world, to help orient the GCP locations and predictions.
- You can get here a reasonably precise geographic location for most cities in the US and a selection of large cities around the world. Also try WikiMapia.
- The outlying eggs must be connected to the internet, and this is not a plug-and-play matter. There is some good basic information on about.com's Linux pages at: Linux Tutorial: Accessing the Internet, Dialup Connectivity; or for Ubuntu/Debian and most derived distributions, see Penguin 56K Dial-Up Modem Support for GNU / Linux (scroll down the page past the faxing instructions to the dial-up modem instructions.) When some time is available, we will try to integrate this package into the egg software suite.
- Roger Nelson's former Princeton home page provides a number of links to studies by the PEAR lab and that of several other major research laboratories addressing consciousness.
- John Walker's extensive and complex fourmilab website offers a wealth of information and tools. Major categories include computing, science, science fiction, documents and images. Take a look, for example, at the
Astronomy and spacesubsection, which offers interactive views of Earth, Moon, and Solar System, and insightful expositions of esoterica such as strongly curved spacetime, terraforming, and an experiential perspective on lightspeed travel.
- Analytical tools, various programming releases, and related technical material for the project This is intended primarily for people actively developing applications for analysis and display, and is listed here for their convenience.
- A brief description of a project during the funerals of Princess Diana and Mother Teresa addresses the assessment of these extraordinary global events in a preliminary form of the GCP. Indications of an anomalous effect of this focused global consciousness are described more fully in a web paper.
- A related project took advantage of a Global Event to pose the question whether there might be an anomalous effect on nominally random systems correlated with a world wide meditation organized by the Gaiamind Project on Jan 23, 1997.
- Brian Josephson's review of Roger Newton's
The Truth of Scienceincludes comment on the sociology of commentary on psi and gives a more favourable gloss on the
social construction of sciencetheory than Newton allows.
- SSE, the home page for the Society for Scientific Exploration (SSE) and the Journal for Scientific Exploration (JSE), including links to abstracts of published articles.
- ICRL, the home page for the International Consciousness Research Laboratory (ICRL), an interdisciplinary group of researchers with a common interest in deeper understanding of human consciousness.
- A.R.E., The Association for Research and Enlightment continues to make Edgar Cayce's wisdom available, and supports enlightened research and education quite generally.
- Cognitive Sciences Laboratory, a research group with a long history of government sponsored work in parapsychology, headed by Ed May.
- Rhine Research Center, the successor to the Duke University program of J. B. Rhine, and home of the Journal of Parapsychology. Headed by Richard Broughton.
- Koestler Chair of Parapsychology, Edinburgh University's parapsychology research unit.
- Alternative Therapies in Health and Medicine, a well edited, peer-reviewed journal presenting current research and thinking on complementary and alternative medicine
- Psi Explorer, An informational site on scientific parapsychology. Features a multimedia CD-ROM that broadly covers the state-of-the-art in historical and contemporary parapsychological research.